Straightforward. Truthful. Sincere.

Parental Relocations

What happens when you or your former spouse wants to move away — or, relocate — with your children? Whether the planned move is across the street or across the country, relocation of a child can be a long and frustrating process.

Under Missouri law, custodial parents who are subject to an existing parenting plan cannot relocate a child without either the noncustodial parent’s consent or an order of the court. If the noncustodial parent refuses to give consent, a judge must agree to modify the existing child custody order before a parent may move with a child.

Making Relocation Less Stressful For You And Your Children

At Martsching Law Firm, LLC, I work hard to ease the stress associated with parental relocations. Whether you are hoping to make a move with your children, or trying to prevent your former spouse from moving your children to a different location, I understand the relevant laws and know how to advocate for your best interests both in the here-and-now and moving forward.

In Missouri, there are strict and complicated steps that must be followed in relocation cases. For instance, there are detailed formal notice provisions that the custodial parent must follow when they intend to relocate the child for more than 90 days. These notices must:

  • Be in writing and sent via certified mail at least 60 days before the intended move.
  • Explain the specific reasons for the proposed relocation.
  • Propose a revised child custody or visitation schedule.
  • Provide the address and location of the intended new residence.

Contact An Experienced Kansas City Area Lawyer Today

Failure to provide notice and shifting burdens of proof also complicate relocation proceedings. Missouri courts take relocation matters very seriously — one wrong step in the process could result in losing custody of the children.

Whether you want to relocate or prevent a relocation, you should seek the advice and counsel of a strong, compassionate and experienced family law attorney. Contact me at my law office — Martsching Law Firm, LLC — to make sure your rights are protected. Call 816-832-2555 to reach my Liberty, Missouri, office, or send me an email to reach me online.